Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the initial help given to someone who is developing a mental health problem or who is in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional support is received or until the crises resolves.
The MHFA course is 4 modules of 3 hours each covered over 2 days. It teaches people how to assist someone who is developing a mental health problem or in a mental crisis. Course participants receive a copy of the MHFA manual and a certificate of completion.
- Mental Health problems are common
- Many people are not well informed about how to recognise mental health problems, how to respond to the person and what supports are available
- Many people with mental health problems delay seeking help or do not seek help at all
- There is a stigma and discrimination associated with mental health problems
- Professional help is not always immediately available
This course is available on demand.